Friday, August 29, 2008

Wrapping it up!!!!!!!!!!!!



Since I only have one guide on the butt section I will wait to wrap it. For now I wanted to go ahead and get the guide wrap on the other two sections going. I am planning to make the reel seat and turn the handle this weekend. I know that is kinda doing things backwards but ..........................

The wraps on these are black "A" nylon thread with metallic blue trims using sulky metallic blue thread. I have wrapped the trims on these independent of the main wrap because I don't want the tags to show through the black threads once they are soaked with epoxy. The aft trims are five wraps long and the for trims are three wraps long.

The wraps are looking pretty nappy here because I only have one coat of epoxy on the wraps. Usually only enough epoxy to soak the thread is used on the first coat. I put this on a little thicker because I am inlaying jungle cock feathers for alignment markers and on the guides. I let he rod turn on the drayer for about an hour and ahalf till the epoxy was heavy enough to beat gravity but still sticky enough to accept the feathers being pushed down into it. The feathers starts small and diminish in size as they run down the blank to the point that the last three guides don't have any on them at all. Looking down the rod they get smaller and smaller as if they disappear over the horizon like in a perspective drawing.

BTW, I'm still working on the close up photography thing with the new camera. Hopefully close up pics like this will get better as time goes on.

No comments: