Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Artist or Craftsman?

This an interesting topic that comes up in discussion from time to time when people who make things get together and talk. It strikes me as quite a coincidence that it has come up recently on both an engraving forum and a rod building forum that I participate on. As both a trained craftsman and a formally trained artist I always have an opinion on this topic. I have given it much thought over the years and here is my post from the engraving forum that pretty much sums it up.

"I always get my self in trouble with this topic.

Because like "Love", "Art" is one of those terms and concepts that is hard to put a two sentence description around. Further more, they both are abstract terms with philosophical underpinnings that have been twisted, butchered and abused throughout history to serve various peoples personal agendas.

So let me say up front, if you disagree with me that's fine. I will still sleep tonight.

I have found that the simpler such terms are defined and the less baggage we hang on them the more meaning they have. So here are my simple definitions that separate the craftsman from the artist.

Craftsman
One who sets forth to produce something to a specific level of skill and quality of fit and finish to produce a piece of work that is higher quality than the mere assembling of parts required to make the basic item.

Artist
One who employs the creative process to produce a piece of work of unique visual or emotional character by use of the principles and elements of design and/or philosophical or emotional concepts.

I don't know where our society got the idea that the artist was of a higher level of skill than a craftsman ... or that somehow it was better to be an artist than a craftsman. An artist is not just a "better craftsmen". They are two different skill sets. To me the ultimate is when a person employs both artistry and craftsmanship successfully in a piece of work.

Not all craftsmen are artist. Not all artist are good craftsmen. The craftsmanship of some artist down right sucks as does the creativity of some craftsmen."

No comments: