Sunday, August 17, 2008

Pulling one out of the fire...maybe



Here is my current weekend and spare time project. This handle will go on a Winston blank I am working on. When this stabilized walnut was in block form it had a gorgeous feather crotch figure to it. The figure was quite disappointing once it was turned.

After scratching my head for a while I decided that rather than tossing it out I would sculpt it. I was planning to flute the reel seat on this like a Greek column anyway so I decide to carve it with acanthus leaves like you find on a Corinthian column. I just about have the for-end of the handle roughed in. Once I get the whole design roughed in I will go back and sculpt it a bit deeper to add more dimension and detail to it.

I am using perma-gloss for the first time as the wrap finish on this rod. The jury is still out as to whether I like the product or not. I will probably have to get several more coats built up before I decide. I do know one thing. I really don't like the fragile little lid on the bottle. I got my third layer built up and the lid broke when I was replacing it on the bottle. Arhg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: