Monday, September 15, 2008

Back to the rod




Finally we got some more done to the rod this weekend. I had the opportunity to do some work on the lathe this weekend and managed to turn out the rest of the parts. I even got the hood engraved and rough cut out.

Parts from left to right.
Trim Band, front hood, wood barrel insert, thread sleeve, slide band, threaded nut, fighting butt housing, end cap.

I am engraving this set with a flair cut style of bright cutting I have been playing with lately. It is a bold and relatively quick style to cut but it still looks good. When the engraving is done this will be anodized.

I think I have all the materials to set up my anodizing station. I am waiting for my friend Mark to finish with my hammer drill so I can bolt the shelving on the wall over the bench. Hopefully one evening this week I will get that done and be ready to do my own aluminum anodizing.

Ray

2 comments:

JMW said...

Ray will you be engraving a reel in the same style to go with this rod?

Ray Cover said...

Not for this rod. I usually don't engrave a matching reel unless it is a special piece. This rod is an experimental rod I am building for myself. I experiment and try new things out on my own rods so if I screw them up I have an understanding customer;-)