Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I forgot to mention



I got so into my fish stories I forgot the broken rod (thanks Kevin for the reminder)

The rod I built for this trip broke on the first fish. I didn't even get the hook completely set. I contacted Dancraft to get the manufacturer's contact info to get a replacement mid section but Dan said he had some spare parts and would send me one. That's good customer service.

Here is what happened. Micheal and I got to the river and started looking for fish. There were a pair of salmon side by side about 25ft downstream from me. The one on the right was just a bit forward of the other which made it nice since I am right handed. I pulled off some line and drifted to the fish. The fish took it. I moved my arm to set the hook and heard a crack like the sound made by stepping on a stick. I saw the top two sections of my rod fall to the water and my fish shake the hook off.

The rod really didn't take any stress. There wasn't even a fight with the fish. Of course, the first thought in my mind was ,"Michael's rod is built on the same blank". Needless to say I was fairly anxious while Michael fought his first few fish but his rod did just fine even when bent over on some tough fish in fast water.

Fortunately, I will only have to re wrap 3 guides on the midsection to get he rod back in shape. Dan said he didn't think I would have to do much if anything in the way if fitting on the ferrules to replace that midsection. That's good it will make the replacement easy.

No comments: